Restrictions on food during the diet are powerful stress for the body. Sometimes you really want to remove it with something else. Figure out how alcohol will affect weight loss and what to do if you could not resist it.
1. Alcohol is high in calories
The most obvious reason. 1 gram of ethyl alcohol contains 7 kcal, while a gram of protein and carbohydrate contains 4 kcal and 9 kcal in fats.
In terms of caloric content, a bottle of alcohol is closer to a piece of pure bacon than to a plate of pasta or a juicy steak. Besides, there are few lovers of drinking pure alcohol, especially among lovely ladies who care about their waist. And each glass of liquor or champagne contains a lot of sugar and extra calories. What to say about cocktails, where sweet syrups and whipped cream are added.
2. Alcohol slows down the metabolism
It is impossible to gain weight from alcohol without snacks. But, when we drink alcohol with food, it is processed by the body in the first place, and snacks are left for later. And every sandwich and a piece of barbecue, most likely, will settle on your body.
3. Alcohol retains water in the body
Here the logical connection will not be so obvious. Alcohol in itself is an excellent diuretic. Large doses of alcohol provoke severe dehydration (dried morning). And after that, a person begins to quench his thirst, absorbing water in huge quantities.
4. Alcohol enhances appetite
Alcohol releases all our basic instincts. A pair of glasses — and now the diet seems not so necessary and the body is already beautiful. Being drunk, all desires become stronger: aggression, libido, including hunger. You will have to constantly control yourself during a feast or not be surprised at the gain in weight.
And do not forget about the importance of sleep for successful weight loss. After fun gatherings, did you often go to bed before midnight? But, if you lay down, do not reassure yourself: in a state of intoxication, the REM sleep phase for a person becomes almost inaccessible. Sleep is more like temporary oblivion, but not at all a good rest. And fatigue and lack of sleep are the main provocateurs of wolfish appetite during the day. The body will try to make up for the lack of energy with the help of fatty and high-calorie foods.
How to reduce the damage to your diet
- Choose low-alcohol, low-sugar drinks. A glass of dry red wine or some champagne will do.
- Be careful with snacks. Prefer assorted fresh vegetables and lean meats or fish instead of chips and sausages.
- Give up sugary cocktails.
- To avoid dehydration, drink clean water during the holiday. Then the next morning you will not have such a strong hangover and thirst.
- The day after the feast, postpone your jogging and morning workouts. Allow the body to recover normally and gain strength.